07 Nov Fire Cider Fun 🔥 – How to Make Fire Cider the Easy Way!
Fall is here, winter is just around the corner, and COVID-19 is lingering everywhere. Fear not, as we have an amazing antidote for whatever ails you, and we’re pretty sure the ingredients are sitting right in your pantry.
Enter – FIRE CIDER.
This all-natural drink can give you a nutrient boost for the upcoming cold and flu season. Every ingredient is medicinal in and of itself, so when they are put together, they can supercharge your immune system. (Also side note: we are not doctors, nor is any of this to be construed as medical advice. We are just fellow humans & have found this to be helpful. You make your choices. Okay, all done now)
A remedy made popular in the 1970’s by the wonderful and esteemed herbalist Rosemary Gladstar, fire cider has turned into a popular home concoction that anyone can make with ingredients from the local grocery store.
When possible, be sure that the ingredients you use are of the highest quality, because you are essentially making medicine. So go organic & fresh if you want only the best for your Fire Cider.
Below we have the ingredients and a brief description of their health benefits. Just reading this motivates us to get cooking! Or jarring! Or fire-cidering! Or using exclamation points!!!
- Big Mason Jar
- Big Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar,
- Small piece of wax paper
- Grated Ginger Root – Reduces inflammation, aids in digestion, reduces nausea
- Minced fresh garlic – highly nutritious, anti-inflammatory antibiotic superstar
- Diced Fresh Onion (medium) – anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense & antibacterial
- These 3 are PACKED with medicinal qualities and are called the Trinity Roots in Ayurveda
- Diced Fresh Horseradish root – antiseptic, stimulant, & diuretic
- Can aid in urinary tract issues
- Finely Diced jalapeno – nutritious and help to fight infection
- Diced Fresh Turmeric Root – anti inflammatory, antiseptic, blood purifier and more!
- Zest of one lemon – Vitamin C!
- Juice of the whole lemon – More Vitamin C! Also helps to improve digestion & can fight kidney stones
- Sprigs of Fresh Rosemary – antioxidants, helps digestion and some brain functions
Some fun extra additions if you want extra 🔥 :
- Cayenne pepper – boosts metabolism, helps reduce inflammation, aids in digestion
- Pure Raw (local) Honey – antioxidant rich, antibacterial, and antifungal
- Ecenecia – treats common cold, and upper respiratory issues
- Black Pepper – antiinflammatory, antioxidant rich
- Astragalus – immune booster, helps seasonal allergies, helps reduce stress
- Fresh Thyme – Vitamin C, Vitamin A, nutritious, antibacterial and antifungal
- Apple Cider Vinegar – helps blood sugar, heart health and kidneys, and contains probiotics!
Got all your ingredients ready? Cool. The hard part is over. On to the recipe!
Fire Cider Recipe:
- Assemble all the ingredients on top of each other like sand art and then pour in the Apple Cider Vinegar. Be sure the ACV tops all of the materials in the jar.
- Next, add a thin wax paper seal before putting the lid on to prevent the lid from reacting to the mixture or rusting from exposure to the ACV.
- Leave in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight for at least two weeks. Shake daily to help materials mix.
- After two weeks, begin drinking in small doses (tablespoon is fine, shot works too. Again, you make your choices)
- Recommend daily when you’re feeling run down or are exposed to colds, flu etc. Otherwise, whenever it feels right.
- Optional last step: You can continue to add ACV as you go to maximize the materials. But eventually you want to finish.
Want to watch our team member, Jane Matt, concoct some fire cider? Check out our video below!
It is important to note that these herbal remedies & plant knowledge are part of our collective wisdom. Fire Cider has become so popular that companies are trying to commercialize it & trademark the name “Fire Cider”. But you can’t trademark tradition, and Rosemary Gladstar has been leading the fight against corporate privatization of the recipe she created to help people. More info on Fire Cider benefits and her work can be found here
Long story short – save money, make your own, feel awesome!